Wednesday, July 16, 2008

DAVE MCGOVERN WITH THE ANSWER

HOW FAST IS FAST TO A 75 YEAR OLD RACEWALKER. I had a left hip replacement and the doctor said I should not run anymore. I have run 21 marathons and countless shorter races. My first attempt was in a 5 mile race where I Racewalked with the runners. Total time 1hour 7minutes 52seconds. Average 13Min 34seconds per mile pace.
Norman,

Congratulations on your successes so far! Are you sitting down? The listed American record for 75-79 year old men for 5k is 30:57.45. I believe Jack Bray just broke that, bringing the record under 30:00 of 9:41 per mile. (Records aren't kept for 5 miles, but I would imagine the record would be in the range of 10:00 miles.) The technique has a lot to do with it, although Jack Starr (the listed record holder) and Jack Bray are both very, very fit.

So that's what a 75+ year old American CAN do. Shows yo uwhat the possibilities are and gives you something to shoot for!

ok

Dave McGovern

1 comment:

rayzwocker said...

Norm,

Keep us posted on your progress!

Dave McGovern
www.racewalking.org