Sunday, April 27, 2008

TROPHY CHALLANGE

I'm in it for the trophy. The training, the pain, the no quit in me, is all for the trophy. It all started when I turned 70. The Mattapoisett Massachusetts 5 mile road race gives a finishers trophy to everyone 70 or more years of age.



I have run this race countless times since starting on July 4th, 1987. My fastest race time is 34 Minutes 45 seconds in 1990. I also used this 5 mile course for marathon training . Since it is a loop course I could get to my water bottle every 5 miles.



I started RaceWalking on the 2nd of January 2008. I used the indoor track at Healthtrax in North Dartmouth Massachusetts where 17 laps equals one mile. I worked myself up to 5 continuous miles. I averaged 8 to 12 miles of RaceWalking a week by the first week of April.



In the second week of April warm weather allowed me to go to the quarter mile track in Fairhaven Massachusetts. I Racewalked a continuous 6 miles and trained the rest of the week by doing speed drills.



On April 15th I challenged myself to RaceWalk the 5 mile Mattapoisette course. This was the first time I had to RaceWalk up and down hills and I was surprised how well my body adapted to the change. I averaged 16 minute miles and finished in 1 Hour 37 minutes.


My next challange was RaceWalking the half mile up hill and 1 mile down hill of the ring road at the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth. This training I am sure will make me stronger and faster. I hope to visit this training course many times before the 4th of July race.



Another training course is the 2 miles up and 2 miles back around east and west beach in New Bedford. This course is relatively flat and a good place for tempo training.



I am enthused with my RaceWalking so far. Now my objective is to gain strength and speed and be able to RaceWalk 2 continuous times around the 5 mile Mattapoiset course before Race day.



More training news to follow.

No comments: